How Much Does Houston, TX Homeowners Insurance Cost?
Less than half of homeowner’s comparison shop their insurance policy when it’s time to renew. The rate for homeowner’s insurance in Houston, TX is around $1,810 annually. With Freedom Insurance Group, our Texas client save an approximate of $873 yearly on homeowner’s insurance. Bundle auto insurance and save much more on your home insurance quotes.
POPULAR HOME INSURANCE COVERAGE LIMITS IN HOUSTON TEXAS
|Property Coverage Level||Average Annual Rate|
*Information retrieved from the Texas Department of Insurance from Help Insure and averaged with internal data.
Houston, TX Auto and Homeowners Insurance Bundling Discounts Average rates
|Place||1 Car Bundle Savings On Insurance||2 Car Bundle Savings On Insurance||3 Car Bundle Savings On Insurance|
Most companies consider these things when deciding on your premium:
- Your home’s age and condition. Companies can’t turn you down just because of your home’s age or value, but they can charge you more.
- Your home’s replacement cost. Houses with higher replacement costs have higher premiums.
- Construction materials. Premiums are higher for houses built completely of wood. They’re lower for houses built of brick or stone.
- Where you live. Premiums are higher in areas that have more storms or crime.
- Availability of local fire protection. Premiums are lower for houses that are close to fire stations.
- Your claims history. Your premiums might be higher if you’ve had claims in the past.
- Your insurance score. Some companies use your credit score to decide what to charge you. Your premiums will be lower if you have good credit.
Home Insurance Discounts Available in Houston, TX
|Home Discount Name||Home Discount Description||Discount Amount|
|New Home||New Construction Recently Purchased||up to 40%|
|Age of home||5 Years Old||up to 26%|
|Bundle||Home And Auto||up to 25%|
|Upgrades||Electrical, plumbing, heating, roof full updates||up to 20%|
|Age of home||10 Years Old||up to 13%|
|Construction type||Fire Resistive||up to 11%|
|Advance Purchase||7 Days Advance Purchase||up to 8%|
|Loyalty||10+ Years Renewal||up to 8%|
|Construction type||Masonry||up to 7%|
|Paid in Full||Paid in Full||up to 7%|
|Loyalty||5 Years Renewal||up to 6%|
|Fire Sprinklers||Sprinklers||up to 9%|
|Claims Free||5 Year Claims Free||up to 5%|
|Claims Free||10+ Year Claims Free||up to 5%|
|Hail Resistant Roof||Hail Resistant Roof (class 1,2,3,4)||up to 12%|
|Loyalty||3 Years Renewal||up to 5%|
|Fire Alarm||Central Station||up to 2%|
|Gated Community||With Patrol||up to 2%|
|Burglar Alarm||Police Department||up to 4%|
|Burglar Alarm||Central Station||up to 4%|
|Age of home||15 Years Old||up to 4%|
|Water Safety System||Water Leak Detection – Shut Off And Alarm||up to 4%|
|Water Safety System||Water Leak Detection – Shut Off||up to 3%|
|Gated Community||Without Patrol||up to 2%|
|Water Safety System||Water Leak Detection – Alarm||up to 3%|
|Automatic payments||Electronic Fund Transfer||up to 3%|
|Burglar Alarm||Local||up to 1%|
|Fire Alarm||Local||up to 1%|
|Age of home||20 Years Old||up to 2%|
|Smoke Detector||Smoke Detector||up to 1%|
|Fire Extinguisher||Fire Extinguisher||up to 1%|
|Storm Shutter||Storm Shutters||up to 1%|
|Deadbolt||Deadbolt||up to 1%|
What does the standard Home Insurance Policy in Houston, TX Include?
Homeowners insurance offers coverages with the goal of protecting your home, personal belongings, and your liability in case your home becomes damaged to a peril/loss including a visitor’s medical fee, fire, robbery /vandalism, etc. Policies vary, but take a look at some of the most usual coverage choices below:
- Dwelling Coverage (A): this protects your home’s physical structure, for instance, your home’s foundation, roof, and walls. It can even protect structures that are linked to your home such as a deck, detached garage, or patio. Dwelling coverage is an important coverage for homeowner’s insurance.
- Other Structures Coverage (B): whereas the principal structure of your home is covered by dwelling coverage, structures that are not linked to your home will require other structures coverage to stay protected. This encloses decks, detached garages, sheds/shops, etc.
- Personal Property Coverage (C): protects against damaged personal possessions that happen from particular perils including fires, theft, or vandalism. Each policy differs and what is or isn’t covered will depend on your insurance company. For more costly objects such as art or jewelry, you may need extended coverage options.
- Loss of Use/Additional Living Expenses Coverage (D): should a covered peril generate a circumstance in which your home is unlivable, this coverage aids you pay for where you temporarily live while waiting for your home to be rebuilt to a habitable state.
- Personal Liability Coverage (E): this coverage is to protect homeowners against possible medical expenses that can accumulate should a visiting party become injured on your property and you are found responsible. Personal liability coverage can also cover possible legal fees related with the injury.
- Medical Expenses Coverage (F): within your homeowner’s insurance policy, it helps to cover the essential medical bills of a guest in your home should they become hurt while visiting your property. Medical expenses coverage can even help balance costs if you are not responsible.
Supplementing Your Homeowners Insurance Policy in Houston
There are several perils your home may face that aren’t covered by your standard home insurance policy. Through endorsements, additional coverage options, and changing your homeowners insurance policy, you can gain even more protection. Take a closer look at some of the options you have when searching for additional protection and speak with an agent to find the best options for your needs:
- Flood Insurance- Floods continue to devastate cities across Texas and the United States and you may be surprised to learn that flood damage is not covered by your homeowners insurance. The Dallas, TX, region has a moderate risk of flooding over the next 30 years according to Flood Factor making it a threat to residents in the area. As many as 1 in 4 flood claims come from homeowners who live outside of high-risk areas. Adding flood insurance helps protect against a common threat to your home by helping you restore flood-related losses.
- Umbrella Insurance- Liability protection is important for every homeowner but for those with more to lose, it is a critical component. In the event of a lawsuit, your assets could become vulnerable without the right protections in place. Avoid losing what you’ve worked hard for by purchasing umbrella insurance that can cover your valuables after you’ve reached your policy limits.
- Scheduled Personal Property Coverage- Your homeowners insurance policy will protect your personal belongings, but there are policy limits. If you are looking to protect valuables like jewelry and fine art with values that exceed your coverage, this endorsement can help protect your high value or unique items
- Extended Replacement Cost- Although not all losses are completely devastating, some are and can exceed the amount of coverage you have for your home. For example, one of the rarest perils a homeowner may face is also the most expensive, a house fire. If you suffer a total loss and require replacing your possessions and rebuilding your home, extended replacement cost coverage can help you cover losses outside of your homeowners insurance’s coverage.
The Secrets to Saving on Home Insurance in Houston Texas
If you’re a homeowner, chances are you’re going to want to save money on your home insurance policy. A home is your shelter and your investment. Putting a significant amount of money into your home is a great financial move, but you’ll also need to protect your interest. Home insurance policies differ from homeowner to homeowner. This is due to several reasons including your coverage needs, personal factors which affect your premium, and characteristics of your home, just to name a few. But saving on a home insurance policy is the shared dream of all homeowners. Your dream can be a reality through these easy to follow tips:
- Compare your rates among a variety of insurance brands. Each insurance brand will assess your risk differently which leads to differing insurance premiums. By shopping around you can find the right company for your needs.
- Bundling: your home insurance policy with your auto insurance
- Increase your deductible for a lower home insurance premium.
- Install improvements to your home that increase its ability to sustain natural disasters, prevent crime, or keep your household safe. (Examples: Hurricane grade storm shutters, security systems, a fire alarm system with sprinklers, etc.)
- Loyalty discounts: Customers who stay with the same insurance company for a long time are rewarded with discounts.
- Near a fire hydrant/fire station: The closer you are to a fire hydrant and also the fire station, the faster fires can be put out, earning you a discount.
- New home: New homes typically are built with stronger safety innovations, making claims less costly.
- High-quality roof: Hail and wind damage are among the top reasons homeowners file a claim. A sturdy roof can lower your premiums. (Of course, it lowers your heating bill and looks nice, too. Sweet!)
- Tidy yard: When insurance reps visit your property, they like to see it looking spiffy. Neatly trimmed grass, shrubs, and trees lower fire risk and show the insurance company that you care about your property. Discount!
- Avoid recreational hazards: A home without a pool or trampoline is at much less of a risk of a claim, earning you a discount on your coverage.
There are plenty of ways to save money on your policy and seeing as every homeowner needs this protection, it only makes sense to receive it at the lowest rate. Texas has some of the highest home insurance rates in the country making it imperative for homeowners to take the necessary steps to save money. Shop around, bundle when you can, and do your part in protecting your home for the best results.
How Much is Flood Insurance in Houston, TX?
Houston, TX homeowners pay around $655 yearly for flood insurance. At Freedom Insurance Group, our Houston, TX clients pay about $433 yearly for flood insurance, which means they are saving $222 yearly!
We offer home insurance in the following Houston Texas Zip Codes
Major Neighborhoods in Houston Texas
|Greater Greenspoint||Lake Houston|
|Carverdale||Northside / Northline|
|Fairbanks / Northwest Crossing||Jensen|
|Greater Inwood||East Little York / Homestead|
|Acres Home||Trinity / Houston Gardens|
|Hidden Valley||East Houston|
|Addicks / Park Ten||Northside Village|
|Spring Branch West||Kashmere Gardens|
|Langwood||El Dorado / Oates Prairie|
|Central Northwest (formerly Near Northwest)||Hunterwood|
|Independence Heights||Greater Fifth Ward|
|Lazybrook / Timbergrove||Denver Harbor / Port Houston|
|Greater Heights||Pleasantville Area|
|Eldridge / West Oaks||Clinton Park / Tri-Community|
|Briar Forest||Fourth Ward|
|Mid-West (formerly Woodlake/Briarmeadow)||Midtown|
|Greater Uptown||Second Ward|
|Washington Avenue Coalition / Memorial Park||Greater Eastwood|
|Afton Oaks / River Oaks||Harrisburg / Manchester|
|Neartown / Montrose||Museum Park (formerly Binz)|
|Alief||Greater Third Ward|
|Sharpstown||Greater OST / South Union|
|Gulfton||Gulfgate Riverview / Pine Valley|
|University Place||Pecan Park|
|Meyerland||Golfcrest / Bellfort / Reveille|
|Medical Center||Meadowbrook / Allendale|
|Astrodome Area||South Acres / Crestmont Park|
|Brays Oaks (formerly Greater Fondren S.W.)||Greater Hobby Area|
|Willow Meadows / Willowbend||South Belt / Ellington|
|Fondren Gardens||Clear Lake|
|Central Southwest||Magnolia Park|
|Fort Bend / Houston||MacGregor|
|IAH Airport||Spring Branch North|
|Greenway / Upper Kirby||Spring Branch Central|
|Lawndale / Wayside||Spring Branch East|
Freedom Insurance Group is Houston’s Finest Home Insurance Provider
Incorporated in 1837, Houston is the fourth largest city in the United States with a population of approximately 2 million people. The population of the greater Houston metropolitan area is approximately 5 million people.
Houston is located in eastern Texas, on Galveston Bay, near the Texas Gulf Coast. It is approximately two hours from the Texas/Louisiana border. It is unofficially nicknamed the “Bayou City” because of four bayous that run through the city. Houston’s official nickname is “Space City” since it is home to NASA’s Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center, where Mission Control is located.
The port of Houston is one of the ten busiest ports in the world and one of the busiest ports in the United States. Houston is well known for its energy (oil) and aeronautics industries and is home to the world-renowned Texas Medical Center.
Houston was founded by two New York real estate promoters, John Kirby Allen and Augustus Chapman Allen, who purchased the land in 1836 and founded a town named after Sam Houston. The city was incorporated in 1837 and was the capital of the Republic of Texas until early 1839, when the capital was moved to Austin.
Some key dates in Houston’s history include:
In 1861, Harris and all of the surrounding counties voted to secede from the Union and join the Confederacy in the Civil War. Not all Texas counties followed suit.
In 1901, a major oil discovery was made at Spindletop, near Beaumont, giving birth to the oil industry in southeast Texas and Houston.
In 1914, the Houston Ship Channel was constructed along the course of Buffalo Bayou.
In 1961, the Johnson Space Center was established at Clear Lake south of Houston.
In 1965, the Harris County Domed Stadium, later called the Houston Astrodome, was completed.
Freedom Insurance Group is Proud to Serve Houston, Texas
Knowing you’re protected with the right coverages can bring you peace of mind. Finding the right coverages for the lowest price will deliver the protection you deserve while keeping money in your pocket. Freedom Insurance Group understands and helps find homeowners throughout Houston, Texas, the right coverage options for their needs at the lowest cost possible.
We get to know our clients to better understand their needs. Each homeowner’s needs are different and by creating a custom approach to your insurance needs we can prevent gaps in your coverage while saving you the most amount of money.
Our agents work for you by comparing your coverage needs among more than 25 top-rated insurance companies with strong financial ratings and a range of coverage options. By comparing your coverage among multiple brands, we can build a custom coverage option for you and your home that doesn’t break the bank. Contact us today or get a free home insurance quote with only a few clicks of a button.
Freedom Insurance specializes in the following Texas Insurance Services: