Is Motorcycle Insurance Required in Texas?

Each state sets its own minimums for insurance coverage. For Texas, the minimum coverage for motorcycles is 30/60/25. This means that you must have liability insurance that covers: $30,000 in bodily damage per person. $60,000 in bodily damage per accident, $25,000 in property damage.

This is the minimum amount of coverage that you need to ride legally in Texas. To cover all the damages you could suffer in a crash, you may need much more. Motorcycles are smaller than cars but can cause significant damage, especially in terms of injuries. Therefore, the more liability insurance you can afford, the better.

Insurance Requirements for Different Types of Motorcycles

When discussing motorcycles, most people picture the same type of vehicle. However, under Texas law, a motorcycle is any motorized vehicle with a saddle for the rider. This means that other types of vehicles are looped into the motorcycle category and are therefore subject to the same insurance requirements.

You will need the same level of insurance for these types of vehicles if you plan to ride them on public roads: mopeds, motor-driven cycles, three-wheeled motorbikes… You will not need insurance for all-terrain vehicles, dirt bikes, mini-bikes, and golf carts, as these vehicle types are not permitted to operate on public roads.

What Happens If You Do Not Meet the Minimum Insurance Requirements?

The first time that you get pulled over without insurance in Texas, you will be cited and fined between $175-$350. In addition, a $250 surcharge will be added to your driver’s relicensing fee for the next three years. If you get pulled over again without insurance, the fees go up. You will be cited and fined between $350-$1000 and will also be subject to the $250 relicensing fee for three years. If you are a habitual offender, you risk the chance of having your license revoked or motorcycle impounded.

If you cause an accident and do not have insurance, you will be liable for all costs involved. This means you will be on the responsible for everything, from property damage to personal injury costs.

Other Insurance Coverage

Collision: If you are financing your vehicle, you are usually required to purchase collision and comprehensive coverages. Collision coverage will repair your bike in the event of an accident, while comprehensive will pay for damages caused by other events, such as fire, floods, or theft.

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorists: Since many motorists still drive without insurance, it is a good idea to include this coverage in your policy. If you suffer serious injuries from an uninsured motorist, you will end up paying for your medical bills if you do not have this type of insurance.

Roadside Assistance: If you are stranded on the road, this coverage will pay for towing and the cost of a rental vehicle while your motorcycle is being repaired.

Contact Us

Freedom Insurance Group
3861 Long Prairie Rd Ste 110
Flower Mound, TX 75028
Phone: (972) 798-3769


M-F: 8:30 am - 6:00 pm
SAT: 10:00 am- 2:00 pm
SUN: closed