Can I change my insurance agent but keep my insurance company?

Yes, you can switch insurance agents for your auto, home, landlord and other policies while keeping the same insurance company. Many times bad service and experiences are the agent’s fault and not the insurance company’s; so customers may want to use a new agent with the same insurance company.  Here’s how the process generally works to get a new home/auto etc agent to service your current policies:

  1. Broker / Agent of Record Letter (BOR aka AOR): If you want to switch agents within the same auto or home insurance company, you’ll often need to complete a “Broker of Record” letter. This letter is a formal notice to the insurance company that you are changing the agent or broker who represents you.
  2. Content of the BOR: The BOR usually contains the name of the policyholder, the policy number, the effective date of the change, the name of the new agent or broker, and the name of the former agent or broker. It should be signed by the policyholder.
  3. Submit the BOR: Once the Broker of Record form is completed, you’ll send it to the insurance company. The company will then process the request, which often involves notifying the old agent and updating their records to reflect the new agent’s details.
  4. New Agent’s Role: Once the change is processed, your new agent will handle your policy inquiries, changes, renewals, and claims. They’ll be your main point of contact with the insurance company.
  5. No Change to Policy Terms: Changing agents shouldn’t have an effect on the terms or pricing of your policy since you’re staying with the same insurance company. The change is primarily about who represents you and assists you.
  6. Considerations: It’s a good practice to notify your old agent about the switch out of courtesy. Also, be sure you’re choosing a new agent you trust and are comfortable with, as they’ll play an essential role in managing your insurance needs.

If you’d like Freedom Insurance to service your home and auto policies, or any other type of policy, please call us to start the process.  Below are the most common insurance companies available that allow you to use a new agent.

Texas & Colorado Progressive Auto

Texas & Colorado Allstate Home & Auto

Texas & Colorado Encompass Home & Auto

Texas & Colorado National General Home & Auto

Texas & Colorado Safeco Home & Auto

Texas & Colorado Travelers Home & Auto

Texas & Colorado Wellington Home

Texas & Colorado National Summit Home

Texas & Colorado GAINSCO Auto

Blue Cross Blue Shield Texas

If you don’t see your company in this list, please call us at 800-253-1482



Remember, the decision to switch agents should be based on your needs and satisfaction with the service. Whether you’re looking for better communication, a more proactive approach, or just a change of pace, it’s essential to find an agent who aligns with your expectations and requirements.

Contact Us

Freedom Insurance Group
3861 Long Prairie Rd Ste 110
Flower Mound, TX 75028
Phone: (972) 798-3769


M-F: 8:30 am - 6:00 pm
SAT: 10:00 am- 2:00 pm
SUN: closed